BridgE over ThE RiVer CaM, OX under it...

a peek into some of my thoughts and activities??

Monday, August 08, 2005

D-Day

Finally, tomorrow is the day that I have yearned for for the past one year. Yes, its finally Singapore’s 40th National Day! Oh, its also Hong’s 20th birthday too!

Looking back, I must admit that I didn’t care much about NDP for much of my life, until sec 3, cause I took part in the parade (as part of the marching contingent). Coincidentally, that year (2000) parade was held at Padang, and organized by 3rd Div too. I admit the experience I had then was different, since I was actually enjoying having my Saturdays burnt at Padang, since I thought that led to more bonding between me and my friends (even though others think otherwise). Well, I thought I had a good NDP experience that year, even though the trainings were tough.

Then, 2002 I watched the parade live for the first time in my life. I totally enjoyed it, partly because the guest star was Stefanie Sun, and also because I spent it with a group of foreigners, hence I could actually better understand the significance of National Day and how special and different Singapore celebrates it.

Now, this year is 2005, and I must admit that I am involved with National Day much more than the previous time. Seriously, you do not know how much hard work and effort the organizers put in until you are part of them – starting with the sponsorship launch last year, I realized the huge amount of hard work that the organizers need to do (ha, yes, I was involved in the sponsorship launch too, though not as much as others).

For me, the real big headache was to make the NDP 2005 Commemorative CD. Me, Douglas and JH had to come up with the whole thing from scratch. Fine, the concept and idea was thrown to us, but we had to think of ways ourselves to fill up the gaps. YES. Out of around 480 events in the CD, JH and JJ came up with close to 1000 before we picked the better ones, Doug searched for like almost all the writeups while I did all the photos. Oh, including all those changes and everything, I can proudly say that I can lay claim to around 40-50% of the resources used in the CD, since I also scanned through plenty of ST articles to get new events.

Well, making the CD was a good experience for me since I managed to liaison with a few public bodies (namely NAS and SPH), co-ordinate and manage the work efforts of various people, as well as organize the whole research process. Overall, it was a good data-mining experience.

Ok, I can also lay claim to around 60-70% of the slide show that you all are gonna view at Padang. Yup, most of the photos are taken from SPH. Oh yea, throw in the fact that I helped to lay a few cables here and there, maintain the CCTV networks and the CCGs, you can say that I helped in the comms over at Padang.

But, I’m also working in Jurong East Heartlands, signals cell. Yes, the lan gaming there is set up by the CCIS people. I must admit this year’s NDP is the one that I participated in the most extensively, since I saw the birth of the planning process, to the goodies in the goodie bag, the padang show, the parade and even Heartlands celebration. Hope tomorrow will be a peaceful day!

Oh yea, after this year I have learnt to appreciate more of the efforts of all those who helped out in NDP. They are indeed the people that we ought to remember and think of every year tomorrow. Without them, the joy that you feel on Aug 9th would have been impossible.

Well, I do have several birthday wishes for Singapore. Hopefully the economy will maintain its recovery and go on to even greater heights; Singapore will develop into a more sophisticated and cultured society; that people will continue to enjoy the peace and stability, which we have grown accustomed to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home