Movie Mania
The first one I caught was Fearless, the last martial arts flick by Jet Li. Apart from the pretty flimsy and weak storyline; the movie was great for an action movie. The fighting was good, real and I think you can totally feel the pain (could it be because of all the ICCT lessons?). It was really realistic, and you don’t actually feel like your watching a dance, or some choreographed scenes… It is truly a good Chinese martial arts film.
The other show I watched was I Not Stupid 2. Hmm, I was a little bit disappointed with it, cause I thought the ending was a bit cliché and far-fetched I guess? Ha, ok I admit Jack Neo is not a skilful cinematic director who can put in good cinematography like the Western directors (ya, it does feel like a TV drama series), but credit must be given to him for highlighting some of the issues that are all around us but we just don’t notice and think about it.
Ok, possibly because I had such a privileged background so some of the things are not what I will think about, so kudos to the movie for bringing them up. Issues like prejudice (ok I got experience that at least), different ways of teaching (that too but I never compared!), bad company, caning, hand phones, communication, generation gap…
Ha, but seeing the movie does makes me realize how challenging education is and how much red tape and rules that we have in our society. Its not that I’m critical of them but as we move forward in today’s society, I guess we must all adapt swiftly or else we will be lost in the flow of time, and detached from the rest of the world.
But I found it interesting that both shows both used fighting as a possible avenue for you to achieve success. Fearless used martial arts to show the “strength within you” and themes of courage, pride, success, and of how whether a thing is good or bad depends on your perception. Likewise, I Not Stupid 2 also used fighting to show not only the negative side of it, but also used it to portray how you can actually use it to do your nation proud. Ha, it seemed to me that the show copied from Jet Li!
Overall I think both movies were nice, and deserving of $8. But of course, you can always buy the DVD when it comes out.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home