BridgE over ThE RiVer CaM, OX under it...

a peek into some of my thoughts and activities??

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Movies

I am quite amused with the range of movies that are available for viewing. Its like there are both the serious political ones (like Brokeback, Transamerica, Syriana), and the really amusing, entertaining ones (Final Destination 3, Jarhead).

Ok, Jarhead can be said to be quite a political movie. It is good in the sense that it really shows off the marines’ mentality, the mindset of American soldiers, as well as the harsh reality of what being a solder means. It is certainly a huge contrast to the Singaporean NS experience. Ha, or maybe we were like that once? But after watching it, I reached a conclusion that American soldiers are real dumb, and that the typical marine has quite a stupid and ‘empty’ life. But I will recommend it to people cause it does sort of blasts the American culture. Although I will say Full Metal Jacket is a much better anti-war film.

Then I watched Final Destination 3 and I really decided that the average American isn’t particularly intelligent. Ok, I never watched the 2 prequels so you can say that I was not mentally prepared for the film. But still, apart from being morbid, and a bit exciting, it really seemed to me to be making a joke out of the normal high school American. Ha, but its quite a good show if you just need entertainment. But really, it is total brainless.

Thankfully, I watched Munich. Seriously speaking, Munich is a pretty interesting movie. Ok, granted that it seemed to be just about terrorism and counter-terrorism, as well as a lot on plotting to kill, killing and deaths, but it does brought up a lot of ideas. Ideas like what exactly is right and what exactly is wrong. Of course it did touched on the touchy Palestinian – Israel conflict, as well as brought up the issue of whether counter-terrorism is right. Indeed, it is a really pertinent and relevant movie in today’s world. Its like after watching it, I must admit that you do wonder about whether the US ‘war on terror’ is justifiable. On the whole I will say Munich is a good movie to watch to gain an idea of Black September, as well as act as a reminder of the world today.

Now I intend to watch Brokeback Mountain. I’m interested to see exactly how good the film-making was, as well as see for myself how revolutionary the film is. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home