I watched V for Vendetta and Ice Age 2 over the past 2 weeks and both movies were brillant in their own ways.
V was a great movie, in my opinion. Fine, although it doesn’t have a lot of action (just a bit at the beginning, a little more in the middle, and a short explosive one at the end), it does forces you to think. Yes, I like movies, which force you to think. By thinking, the audience actually engages with the show, and it will leave them with a deeper impression of the movie than those which you just sit through mindlessly. For example, who really bothers to think back on the Final Destination series?
So yes, V can actually be considered mind-boggling. Initially, it was a little bit tough to catch the actor's accent, and it doesn’t help when he rattles off super fast, with a long list of words starting with the letter V. But you can say I’m impressed with the writers’ wit, especially when I reached home and googled on November the 5th.
I guess most of us Asian viewers don’t really appreciate most of the history part of the film, things such as Guy Fawkes, the Gunpowder Plot, Bonfire Day, etc. I must say the movie did a good tie-in with history, and it does bring out some interesting ideas too.
One of it is the power of the state or the government. What happens when your government become something like a fully tyranny? Well, it is a bit like Hitler’s Germany, but it does have its parallels with the current real world too. The voice of the individual and freedom is indeed something that cannot be buried. It is always there, something that can’t be oppressed at all.
Well, I won’t give away any spoilers except that the film is great. Please watch the DVD. Haha. But I must say that I think most British will hate the show, especially the last bit. Haha.
Ice Age 2 on the other hand was light-hearted, simple and funny. There wasn’t much of a complicated plot (it is supposed to be a children’s movie anyway), so you can just sit down and laugh your way through. The really funny bits are when the squirrel (I think it is a squirrel, not too sure though), embarks on its quest of obtaining the acorn. Those are the funny moments that totally liven up the crowds. Haha, apart from that, the rest of it can be said to be just simple, normal story-telling with the occasional funny bits.
I’m now looking forward to watching Daisy, the Asian production with Jeon Ji-Hyun. Haha, seriously I don’t know what the plot is, but I’ve been wanting to watch the movie ever since I know it was going to be released. Why? Caused of Jeon Ji-Hyun. Haha, call it the Superstar effect!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home