BridgE over ThE RiVer CaM, OX under it...

a peek into some of my thoughts and activities??

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Morocco(2)


Fes, is one of the oldest cities in the world. Fes el Bali, their old city is a UNESCO-heritage site and I totally understood why. There’s plenty of really old buildings inside (definition: close to 1000 years old), and the souks are a mini tourist attraction of their own. We felt that we were good enough (due to SAF) to navigate the streets on our own, but sad to say, we got lost a number of times and we even walked about in circles. But they do have a lot of interesting sights, such as a shop selling camel meat, tanneries, and a lot of weird funny gadget shops. Haha, and I remembered my friend who was bargaining with this shop owner who said, “Look, I am a Muslim and it is against my religion to lie. The price I give you is the best price.” Haha. The sad thing is that despite the rich history, we didn’t have a tour guide so I will say that we failed to understand the significance of some of the places.

Well, I didn’t spend much time in Tangiers, so I can’t comment much on the city. On the whole, I will say Morocco is an interesting experience and it does broaden your horizons as well as enabled you to understand the Arab culture and history better.

Oh I ate plenty of couscous and tajine in Morocco too. Apparently its unique to this part of the world, but it is really nice! Its steamed semolina and they usually serve it with chicken, mutton, beef or vegetables. A bit like our briyani, but of course, I still miss the Dunman Nasi Briyani more! Oh, the other main disd they have is tajine, which is a stew. Looks like our curry vegetables/chicken, but its not spicy. Another thing, they actually have something that looks like roti prata here!!! But they pour honey over it, fold it and chop it into small slices so it looks like our popiah. I must say the food here is really good, much nicer than the food that I had in the UK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home